Spring is one of my favorite seasons; everything is in full bloom and I can finally open the windows to let the cool breeze flow through the house. I enjoy the process of spring cleaning my home, changing out my decor and updating things around the house. Of course, I , like you- love that sense of pride that comes with tackling home improvement projects that doesn’t come with handing the task over to a contractor. But, since there are some complex projects that only a professional should do; I thought I would make a short list of ideas for those DIYers who just can’t resist a challenge.
1. Make Your Own Throw Pillows: Usually fabric stores have remnants of fabric they are selling at a huge discount; you can usually get a couple of yards out of a remnant for less than $30. With your time and labor at no charge; you’ve just scored yourself a heck of a deal for new throw pillows and a little pride as a bonus. Rule of thumb: 1/2 yard of fabric will make one 20″ x 20″ pillow; if you want a decorative trim you are looking at about 2 yards of trim for 1 pillow. Here is a great tutorial from Craftiness is not Optional blog.
2. Update Bathroom Faucets: This is one of the least complicated parts to updating your bathroom. But, it will dramatically update your space. A great company that has quick delivery and reasonable prices is Signature Hardware. And, their customer service is excellent!
3. Let There Be Light!! Make your own lamp from a beautiful vase: Making your own lamp may seem a little daunting but its fairly easy. With the right tools and tutorial you can make your favorite vase into your favorite lamp. Tip: You will need a lamp pipe and a kit from a big box store that comes with the harp, socket and wire. If you are willing to try your talents; you can have a beautiful lamp on your night stand in a couple of hours without breaking the bank. Here is a great tutorial from Between Naps on the Porch blog to help you. However, if you don’t want to make your own lamp, take a tip from Centsational Girl blog to make an inexpensive lamp look great! (Image Credit: Centsational Girl)
4. Let’s Color: Paint A Room – Painting a room is the easiest and the least expensive way to give your home a facelift. I recently found this amazing tool on Sherwin Williams website called Chipit!! You can translate your inspiration image into colors that you can use in any room of your home. Once you use this tool you will not go back to choosing your paint colors from a fan…it is so fun!! Click www.sherwin-williams.com to start your own paint chips. Below is one I did recently…
5. Gold Leaf Agate Coasters – Trending like mad this year is Agate. You see it in a variety of colors and applications from jeweled boxes to lamps. I always love to use natural stones in various applications when designing for my clients. So, I thought for a simple DIY project, Gold Leaf Agate Coasters would be pretty additions to your side tables that can be done in less than 1/2 a day or it can be simple but heart-touching retirement gift. Tip: I recommend going to your local rock barrel stores, they will usually have a variety of stones you can work with to make coasters if you want something different than Agate. Take direction from Desert Domicile, she will give you step by step instructions on gold leafing your coasters. (Photo Credit: High Market)
I hope this post has given you a little inspiration to get started on a DIY project for the Spring. If you’ve done or decided to tackle one of these projects please let me know. I want to hear from you and see your finished project!!